Thotti was originally meant to display dolls during the Dasara
festivities. It is a tradition in Mysore to worship dolls during
Dasara, a tradition which was inherited from the Vijaynagar times.
During these festivities, in every house, dolls were tastefully
arranged. This tradition continues even today.
During the time of Maharajas, this area was opened to public (during
dasara festivities). Today, the bays of the western part of Gombe
Thotti houses a collection of various objects of art including
European marble sculptures acquired by the royalty. All the objects
displayed here are from the Majaraja’s personal collection. Most of
the items were acquired in the 1920’s. At the left there is
neo-classical marble structure from Europe. At the center is sitting
a lavish wooden pavilion decorated in Rajasthani mirror work with
Ganesha the elephant-headed god. Ganesha is portrayed playing
a veena. This instrument is widely used in local Karnatak music.
The southern and the northern parts of the Gombe Thotti, are
separated by a passage leading to Palace courtyard. It has a brass
gate consisting of two parts. It is known as Ane Bagilu or Elephant